Did you know that 30% of subscribers change email addresses annually?
It is strongly recommended to remove subscribers who haven’t opened your emails (or interacted with your brand in other ways) in the last 12 months. Here’s why:
- They might have abandoned their inboxes,
- Those inboxes have been deleted (this causes hard bounces),
- Inactive user emails may be converted to Spam traps (which will negatively impact your campaign deliverability).
- They increase price of premium monthly Soundest subscription.
Luckily, you can search your list for subscribers (in Soundest) who have not opened a message from you recently, allowing you to delete people who aren't active members of your list:
- Go to Subscribers tab -> Segments;
- Create a new segment (name it “Segment - inactive”) using the rule Last action lower than or equal and choose a date that was 12 months ago. Hit Save settings. Now all your subscribers who have not been active longer than 12 months but still receive your emails got to one place - a segment of inactive subscribers. You should now unsubscribe them from your further communication.
- In your newly created segment go to Export tab and export all contacts from this segment.
- In the Downloaded Excel file with all exported contacts, add new column right after “Email” column. Name it “Opt-out”.
Fill all cells of that column with date 2016-06-06 (yyyy-mm-dd) or 06/06/2016 (mm/dd/yyyy) (any other date is also fine, as long as it is a past date).
- Select all cells of email addresses and dates in A and B columns. Copy it.
- Login to Soundest, go to Subscribers. Create a new list and call it “Inactive subscribers”.
- In this new list, go to Add subscribers tab and choose Copy-paste from Excel. Paste all contacts you have copied in Excel.
Select fields you want to import:
- Choose Email address in the first field
- Choose Newsletter opt-out in 2nd field
- Finish import.
That’s it. All inactive contacts were removed. You can now delete the segment and the list that were mentioned in this tutorial.